Author: Taite Krueger
Graphic Designer: Luca Huising-Torrese
Copy Editor: Jacob Marion
The season of the witch. This autumn has seen the resurgence of a timeless and magical “girl power” movie from the 1990s. You guessed it, Practical Magic. With the returning popularity of the film on its 25th anniversary – specifically on Tik Tok – and the fashion seen on screen, Practical Magic–core has emerged. Sally and Gillian, sisters born into a magical family, sport iconic 1990s pieces throughout the movie. Mini tees, floral midi-skirts, oversized cardigans, and slip dresses fill their closets. The sisters also rock voluptuous hair, curtain bangs, and minimal makeup. Even the colours Sally and Gillian wear perfectly reflect this season’s most popular earth tones.
If you, like me, are looking to experiment with your style or simply want to create the perfect fall look, I have developed a list of steps to create an iconic Practical Magic–core outfit.
- First, find a statement piece for your look. Whether it’s a pair of thrifted wide-leg jeans, a silky dress for layering or a graphic baby tee, choose an item to focus your outfit around.
- Next, layer up! Add a t-shirt under your dress or a slouchy cardigan over a tiny tank top. When it comes to 1990s style and the film’s fashion, less is not actually more.
- Add jewelry! A dainty watch, stacked vintage rings, layered necklaces, and thrifted earrings can all add the perfect touch to your witchy look. Mixing metals, adding pearls, and incorporating gemstones like amethyst can keep your outfit on brand but unique.
- Now it’s time to accessorize. After jewelry, try adding a chunky belt, oversized sunglasses or cowboy boots. Another fun touch to any outfit is ribbon, whether it’s a bow in your hair, around the handle of your purse or on your headphones. The more accessories, the better!
- Finally, embrace the witchy look in the film by curling your hair or doing subtle makeup.
Practical Magic–core combines iconic styles from the 1990s, encourages thrifting, and incorporates unique and unconventional accessories. TikTok individuals like Sophie Seddon, Keonie Leiline, and Haley Robinson have embraced Practical Magic fashion and incorporated their own twists. Experiment this fall with witchy 1990s looks and lean into the magic of the season.